Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Portishead Town FC app


1st Team - Match centre

Portishead Town
Welton Rovers
Wed 25 Apr 19:30 - The Toolstation Western Football League - Division 1 Full time

Portishead Town 2-3 Welton Rovers

Posset Narrowly Beaten in Intense League Tie

Report by Malachi Obrey

Portishead came into this game with hopes of clinching some much needed points to avoid relegation against a Welton side sitting comfortably in 7th.

The match began fairly evenly, both sides pushing but not quite testing the keepers. Welton started to look the stronger side when their number 9 struck the post from the right, just inside the box in the 8th minute. However, not too long after, Portishead broke into the box from the left when an opposition defender came in with an unnecessary shove from behind on the advancing Hughes. A clear penalty controversially not given.
The game progressed and in the 17th minute, Welton whipped in a dangerous free-kick from the right onto the head of an attacker which skimmed the side-netting.
The deadlock was finally broken by the away side in the 21st minute when they nodded in from a corner which took a slight deflection into the bottom left corner. The head of Joe Lott on the line unfortunately did not keep it out. Welton continued to drive forward and a second came not long after in the 25th minute with another corner which was finished off by the left foot of the opposition striker, fired into the bottom left corner once again!

Welton kept pushing, clearly craving that three goal cushion. Another chance came their way on the 31st minute as their centre back was found unmarked in the middle from yet another corner! The ball fell on a plate for the half volley, but was squandered and blasted over the bar from extremely close range. Was that going to be a moment to regret for the visitors?
A minute later, Posset found themselves on an attack as Harrison Williams was played in behind. He tries to curl one nicely from the edge of the box with the right foot, but the shot unfortunately headed straight into the goal keepers arms. Williams was determined to pull one back for the hosts as he once again broke down the left, this time beating a defender as he cuts in on his right once again, but again, straight at the keeper!

The last chance of the first half regrettably came to Welton as their number 9 burst into the box and with a risky challenge from behind from Hatfield and a penalty was quickly given. The visitors confidently dispatched the spot kick into the top right corner with Gillingham having no chance.
Half Time – PTFC 0-3 Welton Rovers

The second half began steadily, with a chance for Posset coming in the 49th minute on the half volley for Kye Mountford which looped closely over the crossbar. The 56th minute saw Welton find their feet again with a pacey counter attack down the right. Rovers’ right winger managed to pull the ball back just as the Portishead defence began to arrive back into the box but his shot was blocked.
Portishead started to take the game by the scruff of the neck; a chance came from a corner which was headed into the keeper’s hands. Posset continued to assert their dominance in the second half and finally made the opposition pay in the 59th minute. Hughes receiving the ball from the defence and playing forward found Latham who held the ball up and laid it back to the advancing Hughes who with a reverse pass found Mountford with a driving run found himself one on one with the goalkeeper and put the ball past him, with Dan Elson finishing it off, to make it 1-3. That was one back; could the boys rescue a point or three?

Successive Portishead subs in the 62nd and 67th minutes saw James Hughes (8) replaced with Olly Carter (12), and James Griffiths (14) succeed Harrison Williams (11).

Posset continued to push and the second goal came in the 69th minute. Dan Elson added to his first with a fiercely driven low shot into the bottom right corner from the edge of the box. The deficit was now reduced to one.
Briefly after, a free-kick was lofted in from the half-way line into the opposition box. Mountford tried to add to his assist for the first goal with a finish of his own, but sadly put the ball over the bar. Welton tried to counter this a minute later as a cross that was cleared falls to an opposition player who drove a shot towards goal. It turned out to be easy pickings for the keeper George Gillingham.
Portishead, still pushing for an all important equaliser, then rushed down the right and sailed in a cross which just skimmed the head of striker Rob Latham’s and goes wide. An attack from Welton results in a free-kick after an attempted advantage for the visitors is played. Parsons receives a harsh yellow card for arguing with the ref contesting why he had given more advantage!
The final Portishead sub sees Kye Mountford leave the pitch after a good second half performance.
Tensions start to rise now as Portishead push for a third and Rovers try and defend their lead. A low driven shot from Mortimor in the 87th minute from Posset steers wide from long range, and two minutes later, Welton find themselves on a counter. Number 9 cleverly beats the defence and steps past a defender, but Gillingham happily collects the shot.
A final chance come for Posset in the final minute of the game as Gillingham whips in a free-kick from half-way. The attempt despairingly comes to nothing and the ref blows moments later!

It’s a hard to take loss for Portishead after an impressive second half display and comeback. The last three games will prove crucial in their push for survival.

The FA Respect: We Only Do Positive

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Division 1 results


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
16. Malmesbury Victoria 36 45
17. Bristol Telephones 38 44
18. Calne Town 39 43
19. Corsham Town 39 38
20. Sherborne Town 38 36
21. Portishead Town 41 28
22. Warminster Town 38 23

Team sponsor


Club sponsors