Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Portishead Town FC app


1st Team - Match centre

Portishead Town
Roman Glass St George
Sat 28 Apr 15:00 - The Toolstation Western Football League - Division 1 Full time

Portishead Fight for Survival against League Leaders

Portishead’s push for survival continued in a crucial game against the league leaders.

By Malachi Obrey

A lively start to game unfortunately didn’t fall to Posset’s favour as they conceded a penalty within the first 2 minutes. A hefty challenge from behind lead to a goal for St George who buried the penalty into the left of the goal. Not the ideal start for the boys in white.
Portishead continued into the game looking comfortable and playing well against the leaders. Another chance came, however, for the away side who had a shot almost trickle in from the edge of the box after the keeper spilt the ball. Luckily he recovered the loose ball before it crossed the line.
The game really began to fire up as it went on, with some questionable decisions from the ref really adding fuel to the fire. Dan Elson received a yellow card early on in the 21st minute after a late challenge whilst pressing the backline which ignited the atmosphere around the ground. A minute later, St George went all out for some revenge from the tackle, and delivered a dangerous blow to James Hughes at left back. ‘A leg breaker’ is the phrase that was exclaimed around the dugout, with Hughesy luckily coming out of it unscathed.
Portishead held a solid backline throughout the first half, since the penalty, and showed this in the 26th minute after a ball was squared from St George and they dealt with it comfortably.
James Hughes unfortunately came off in the 28th minute after a slight hamstring issue.
Posset continued to be showered by crosses from the opposition, but kept up their solid defensive display. The match up so far was a very close contest, with Portishead more than matching the league leading away side. They were very much still in the game. One more chance came for St George, though, as half time loomed. A corner that was whipped in became a very scrappy affair with a shot eventually getting off. A brilliant save from George Gillingham was the only thing preventing the score line from doubling for the away team.

Half Time:

Portishead Town 0-1 Roman Glass St George

The second half began as the first had ended, both sides still challenging. The away had the first major chance, though, with a header straight at the keeper in the 51st minute. It was end to end as both teams search for goals, and questionable decisions continued from the referee.
A shot came in from the away side in the 63rd minute from the edge of the box was tipped onto the bar by Gillingham, showing his quality once again. Five minutes later, Joe Lott was caught in possession in his own half near the left corner flag, and St George pounce on the mistake. The attacker makes his way inside and slots the ball home into the bottom left corner. That provided the coveted two goal cushion that the opposition desired.
Portishead tried everything to get back into the game and a chance came in the 75th minute when Dan Elson found himself through with a tight angle and decided to have a go. The shot was saved with the players supporting him in the box devastated that he didn’t square the ball for an easier opportunity. Another opportunity a minute later proved unfavourable as a shot from Harrison Williams on the left was blocked by a last ditch tackle.
St George found themselves on the front foot again in the 78th minute, but a shot on the half volley sailed wide.
The 79th minute saw another opening come to Williams on the left after Elson played him through but he fires over. It looked like he just couldn’t find his shooting boots that day. A minute passed and a free-kick was won. The ball seemed to come perfectly out for Joe Lott who struck it wide. Portishead kept the attacks coming with another shot this time from Rob Latham who fired straight at the goalie.
As the 83rd came, Elson was picked out and held up the ball before going to after a push in the back from an opposition defender. The referee took this moment to give Elson a second booking and a red card. The touchline was going crazy at this point as no one quite knew why this decision was made, but the ref must’ve seen some illegality from Elson in order to penalise him.
After the ludicrous decision, the game calmed with one final chance coming to St George who were through on the red before firing straight at the keeper.

Full Time:

Portishead Town 0-2 Roman Glass St George

This defeat was hard to take for Posset as they showed real fight and matched the league leaders throughout, only conceding due to two individual errors. We do, however push onto the next game looking for some all important points as we draw the season to a close.

The FA Respect: We Only Do Positive

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Division 1 results

Calne Town
Sherborne Town
Corsham Town
Malmesbury Victoria
Devizes Town
Keynsham Town
Chippenham Park
Westbury United
Wincanton Town


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
16. Malmesbury Victoria 36 45
17. Bristol Telephones 38 44
18. Calne Town 39 43
19. Corsham Town 39 38
20. Sherborne Town 38 36
21. Portishead Town 41 28
22. Warminster Town 38 23

Team sponsor


Club sponsors